Mayan Explore recommends you travel to Akumal.. This magical small town will offer you the once in a life experience to swim with the famous and fantastic Akumal turtles or if you prefer, dive and snorkel in the world´s second largest reef.
This quaint and picturesque town, is located just 20 minutes from Playa del Carmen and 10 minutes from Tulum. The half moon bay of Akumal gives you many chances to see an abundance of marine life, schools of fish, barracudas, rays, lobsters and of course sea turtles in a free natural environment, this area is one of the best places for snorkeling in Riviera Maya Mexico.
Upon arriving to Akumal you will be blown away by the color of the sea. A few steps further and you will see how calm and clear the water is and its charming sense of peace and tranquility. Now it’s just a question of choosing your palm tree to leave your things under, grab your snorkel and mask and head to the warm Caribbean Sea.
Akumal has its very own Turtle Protection Project in which they work very closely with the Tourism Board to bring awareness to the importance of protecting these amazing creatures and the eco-system.
Mayan Explore gives you different options to plan your vacations of your dreams.In Akumal you will find differents options to stay, from budget and hostels to luxury hotels. One of the most famous hotels in the Hotel Club Akumal Caribe and Vista del Mar Akumal.
Akumal is very famous for the tourists that would like to stay a month in Mexico in a beachfront condo where you will see everyday a beautiful sunset in a very calm bay.
Some of the most famous places for rent: Luna Azul Condominiums, Akumal Escape, Casa Gatos, Casa Serenidad, Crystal Azul , La Bahia , La Joya.
If you would like to rent a villa or condo , send us an email to email@example.com and
Akumal is a great place to spend a day with your couple, family or friends. The activities that we suggest are the ones that everybody loves to do in here
- Snorkel in Akumal with the sea turtles is the most famous activity. There are some tours in the main beach that can take you to see the turtles.
- Visit Yal Ku Lagoon. A perfect place for families to snorkel and swim. Located just 5 minutes from Akumal Bay. Yalku is must visit for an
- Organize with one of the local Akumal Tours, dive to the “Motorcycle Reef”: a 15 year old motor bike located many meters under the sea, now covered by live coral and attracts a wide variety of multi colored fish.
- Take a tour to a cenote that hundreds are in the area.
- Rent a bike and explore the hidden places of Akumal.
- Or simply kick back and enjoy an ice-cold beverage and forget about all your worries.
- Akumal nightlife – The restaurants Lol- Ha and La Cueva del Pescador are the famous places where the locals go out for a glass of wine or a beer. However, there are no nightclubs.
– To quench your thirst head for an ice cold drink at the ocean front restaurant: Lol-Ha Restaurant at the hotel Akumal Caribe.
– Try the chocolate chip ice cream at Lucy’s Kitchen
– Stop by at the Cueva de Pescador for their famous ceviche. This is our favorite restaurant in Akumal.
– Theres a beach club in Akumal called La Buena Vida , we highly recommend it, specialy if you go with your family.
There are some small boutiques where you’ll find the typical Mexican handcrafts , art galleries and souvenir shops. In the entrance of Akumal at your right you’ll find a supermarket where you can buy whatever you need for your vacations .
Cancun / Playa del Carmen to Akumal Transportation
Akumal is an easy drive approximately one hour south of Cancun straight down the coast, after Playa del Carmen. To get to Akumal you need to take a taxi, a colectivo ( public vans that you can reach on the highway) or rent a car. The distance from Playa del Carmen to Akumal is 30 minutes.
There are four ways to get there:
- Cabs are wating at the airport and you can take one to Akumal (normally is quite expensive)
- Bus – Take a bus to Playa del Carmen from the Cancun Airport or Downtown Cancun and then take a taxi to Akumal or a colectivo (public van) to the village of Akumal and then a taxi to your hotel (this will be the less expensive way to get to your hotel in Akumal)
- Rent a car.
- You can arrange transfers from different tour operators.
Now you can see why Akumal is on our “Top Ten Things not to be missed whilst in the Mexican Caribbean”!! Also check out our Akumal Mexico Map in order to give you a better idea where it is this amazing beach.
For more Information and destinations enter: www.mayanexplore.com