Where is Isla Mujeres? (in Spanish Island of Women) is a beautiful island in the Mexican Caribbean Sea, located northern east corner of the Mexican state Quintana Roo, about 8 miles of Cancun.
With only 4.3 miles long and 2,130 feet wide, it is a privileged place with a unique natural and cultural wealth in Mexico. This fascinating island combines the beauty of the Caribbean and the wonderful heritage of the Mayan civilization.
In Pre-Columbian times the island was a Mayan sanctuary to goddess of childbirth and medicine, Ixchel. When the Spanish arrived in the 16th century, they named it “Isla Mujeres” because of the many cult images of goddesses.
In addition to its beaches and the stunning natural architecture of its cliffs, Isla Mujeres has archaeological vestiges and marine parks with incredible natural reefs.
- Visit the Turtle Farm – Government sponsored hatchery for endangered sea turtles;
- Visit Hacienda Mundaca – 19th century hacienda built by Caribbean pirate Fermin Mundaca;
- Spend the day in Playa Norte (North Beach) – in the northern end of the island, with shallow waters, stunning white sand and plenty of fun restaurants and bars as well as several hotels. We highly recommend you Playa Norte to spend the day in the island.
- Visit in the afternoon Playa Sol (Sun beach) – the most romantic secluded place to contemplate the sunset;
- Visit Punta Sur (Southern tip) – A small ruin that was once a lighthouse and temple to Ixchel, goddess of fertility.
- If you would like a luxury restaurant in the island we recommend you Villa Rolandi.
- Visit the Dolphin Discovery Isla Mujeres
- Rent a golf cart and visit all the island.
There are numerous restaurants to eat fresh seafood cooked with local and traditional delicious recipes; also other international types of food are available at restaurants on the island. There’s a main street in the island where you will find many small caribbean restaurants where you can eat
Plenty of activities are waiting for you there, such as: whale shark tours, snorkeling, fishing, interacting with dolphins and beach volleyball on the soft white sand.
Ferry boats connect the island to Cancun. There are four ferries ports to Isla Mujeres. Three are located in the area of Cancun and the other ferry station is located in Puerto Juarez .
The round trip ticket from Cancun to Isla Mujeres costs around $17 usd.
The round trip ticket from Puerto Juarez to Isla Mujeres costs around $11 usd
If you would like to see the ferry schedule visit Ultramar , the most famous ferries in Cancun and Playa del Carmen.
Isla Mujeres is like a magical world that all visitors fall in love with. No one escapes from the natural beauty of the island, which makes it a charming and delightful place of the Mexican Caribbean.
There are some all inclusive hotels , small hotels, villas and condos for rent.
– Hotel Villa Rolandi ( Travelers Choice Award 2012)
– Nautibeach Condos
– Casa de los Sueños
– Isla Mujeres Palace
– Hotel Las Palmas
– Ixchel Beach Hotel
– Privilege Aluxes
– Hotel Secreto
– Hotel Kinich
– Hotel Bucaneros
If you’re looking for cheap hotels or hostels in Isla Mujeres we recommend you the Hotel Roca Mar, Poc Na Hostel and Hotel Cabañas Maria del Mar.